Get a Good Night’s Sleep with Clipper Tea
Clipper takes sleep seriously and those precious hours we dedicate to slumber should be the best they can be. With tea drinking viewed as comforting by 71% of respondents in a recent Mintel survey1, there seems no better way to relax before bed than with one of Clipper’s delicious, caffeine-free sleep blends or decaffeinated black tea.
However, for anyone struggling when it comes to hitting the hay, try some of these top tips on how to get a good night’s sleep2.
• Stick to a sleep schedule. Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day helps your body get into a natural rhythm.
• During the afternoon opt for caffeine-free or decaffeinated drinks like the Clipper Organic Decaf. Caffeine has an average half-life of five to seven hours which means that it can take five to seven hours for the body to remove 50% of caffeine ingested.
• Choose a pillow like the Studio by SlientNight which has 3 mix and match removable pillow pads to help you find the perfect height and comfort, making it suited to all sleeping styles and ensuring that your body is kept aligned throughout the night.
• Ditch the diet, as calorie restriction has shown to have a negative effect on sleep.
• Wash your face! The act of doing this, whether it’s hot or cold water, helps dissipate heat from the surface of the skin as it evaporates, thus cooling the inner body core.
• Try to go to bed early. Sleep expert Dr Nerina Ramlakhan3 advises that “even if you get a good amount of sleep (7-9 hours) going to bed late is likely to lead to a large amount of your sleep being highly inefficient and without health benefits”.
• Eat cherries after dinner as these are a great source of the sleep hormone melatonin.
• Take a hot bath before bed as the drop in body temperature after getting out may help you feel sleepy. It has been found that to successfully initiate sleep your core temperature needs to decrease by about 1 degree Celsius! • Take a magnesium supplement as this can help muscles relax • Ensure you have a good sleeping environment which is cool in temperature and free from distractions.
So sip on one of these delicious Clipper blends at least 30 minutes before bed, pop any worries or stresses down in a notebook and settle down for an extra-long restorative sleep
CLIPPER SLEEP EASY INFUSION – RRP £1.99 (20 bags) This refreshingly distinctive infusion is a blend of cinnamon, chamomile, honeybush, lemon balm, valerian root and natural orange flavour. The valerian root can help to reduce the time it takes to fall asleep and improve the quality of sleep.
CLIPPER SNORE & PEACE INFUSION – RRP £2.05 (20 bags) Snore & Peace is a comforting and delicately fragrant infusion of organic chamomile, lemon balm, lemongrass, lavender, fennel seed, rosehip and spearmint. Perfect for relaxing the body and relieving anxiety.
CLIPPER ORGANIC DECAF – RRP £5.00 (80 bags) This fine organic Assam tea has been decaffeinated the organic way, without the use of chemicals and still retains its full flavour. A great choice if you like to enjoy a hearty cup of tea before the lights go out or in the afternoon to reduce caffeine intake.
References 1. Attitudes towards Tea and Other Hot Drinks, Mintel, 2017 2. Tips inspired by the book: ‘Why We Sleep’ by Matthew Walker, 2017 3. SilentNight Sleep Expert Dr Nerina Ramlakhan, 2018
Clipper Teas are available from Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Waitrose, Ocado and www.clipper~teas.com.